If you wish to take an upcoming graduate-level course in the department, you may apply as a non-degree-seeking (NDS) student. Please note that undergraduate prerequisite course completion may be necessary to succeed in graduate-level courses. Address your preparedness and motivation for taking coursework in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures in your statement of purpose.
- If you intend to enroll in language coursework, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies so we may determine your language placement level.
If you intend to use NDS coursework to strengthen your profile for graduate study, please contact the Director of Graduate Study to determine your options. Completion of NDS coursework to fulfill prerequisites will not guarantee graduate program admission since multiple factors affect that decision.
Apply to the graduate program for non-degree-seeking status via the Office of Graduate Studies online application system.
- A brief personal statement indicating your academic preparedness and personal motivation for taking coursework in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
- Evidence of preparedness for relevant coursework/Demonstrated competence in East Asian languages and cultures or other academic/professional areas that are similar or relevant (e.g., completion of relevant coursework as indicated on official transcripts, a writing sample that demonstrates argumentative prose, documentation of prior training and certification)
- Official transcripts from undergraduate and post-baccalaureate institutions
- Non-native speakers of English must meet Graduate Studies English proficiency requirements