• Home
  • Placement & Proficiency

Placement & Proficiency

Placement Exams

If you have learned East Asian languages elsewhere, you should take a placement test.  There is no fee for this test, and it may be taken at any time of the year.

  • If you enter with less that the two-year minimum requirement, you may take courses to remedy the deficiency, but they will not count toward the degree.
  • The appropriate Undergraduate Advisor will help decide what courses to take. 
  • Students in the Language and Literature concentrations must also take the equivalent of fourth-year language and for student in Chinese, classical Chinese

Chinese, Japanese or Korean: Accessed using your KU online ID. At the end of the exam you will be given a preliminary placement, which you should use to register for a specific course. During the first week of classes, you will meet with a placement advisor to determine the accuracy of the placement. If it is determined that another course would be more appropriate, you will be allowed to transfer to that course.

Students currently enrolled at KU may take these exams at their convenience. The results of the exam should be taken to the department offering the language to determine proper course placement.

All other East Asian languages: Contact your language coordinator or inquire with our main office more information.

Proficiency Exams

 If you believe you might be exempt from the foreign-language requirement, you need to take a proficiency exams. In the case of digital placement exams, we recommend taking those exams first to get a sense of how your knowledge corresponds to the levels of instruction at KU. If the exam suggests placement at a level above what is needed to meet the language proficiency requirement, you should arrange to speak about testing with an advisor in the department offering that language. If you would like to gain an exemption for a language without an online placement exam, you should start by contacting the department offering that language.

  • If you wish to take a placement exam in a language for which there is not an online exam, contact your language coordinator or inquire with our main office more information
  • If you are proficient in a language not offered at KU and would like for your language requirement to be waived, please contact CLAS Student Academic Services at 785-864-3500 or email at clas109@ku.edu to find out more about the language exemption.
  • If you are a native speaker of a language other than English, your foreign language requirement will be waived after certification of your English proficiency has been verified. For more information, please contact the Applied English Center at 785-864-4606 or email at aec@ku.edu.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today